Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gingerbreadman cookies

Ilyasak completed his read on 'the Gingerbreadman' story. He read the simpler ladybird reader and managed to read the entire book without much help from me. Well done my little boy! He has made good reading progress so far which I am totally proud of.
To tie in with the story, I decided to let him bake some gingerbread cookies. I was lucky to find a Pre mix for this gingerbread cookies which suits me perfectly because I am not much of a baker.
It was real easy as all we need are eggs, a tablespoon of butter, 2 teaspoons of water and of course the Pre mix flour. We are to mix all the ingredients together. Knead the dough and we are ready to cut the cookies. It was so convenient that the pack even provided us with a gingerbread cookie cutter.
We allowed the dough to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes before cutting it out using the cutter. Ilyasak was quite impatient while he waited for the dough to set. To make the wait bearable, I suggested that we try to complete the story book. He successfully completed his read after about 20 minutes.
I gave him a chance to have a go in rolling out the dough, cutting them out using the cutter, putting the M&Ms buttons and baking it. Of course, he popped in quite a few M&Ms into his mouth in the process. He was not so keen on the icing part as the squeezing of the tube demand some amount of strength. In the end, I had to complete all the icing activity myself while he napped.
I wasn't much of a baker and had to rebaked quite a few batches as it turned out to be soft after being out if the oven for quite a while. I guess I had to practice more aye!
Ilyasak gave some of his cookies to both his grandparents. Hope they enjoyed it. I did not have much of the cookies myself as I am not such a big fan of Ginger to start of with unlike the daddy who simply enjoys the taste if Ginger. Believe it or not, each time that we are in a coffeeshop, he never fails to order a cup of hot Ginger milk tea ( teh tarik .)

No comments:

Post a Comment